Wednesday, October 23, 2019

"Emmy in the Key of Code" Book Review

Emmy in the Key of CodeEmmy in the Key of Code by Aimee Lucido
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a wonderful book for older elementary or younger YA readers, especially kids who are struggling to embrace who they are and what they love in life. It is written in a free-verse style of poetry, and as Emmy learns to use Java code, those symbols are interspersed in the text. That is part of what makes reading it so delightful, but it could be challenging for younger readers. I know zero about coding, but I thought the use of it within Emmy's thoughts as she develops her skills and understanding was brilliant.

I especially loved the friendships that developed during the story, the integration of music, and the focus on girls in science and math and challenging that stereotype.

Highly recommend. And I can assure you that I will be checking out the code when I transfer this review over to my blog page. Not like I'll understand it all, but I will definitely appreciate it a bit more.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment