Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Bianca Early Review

We are in that scary zone of pre-publication where review copies have been sent out but it could be weeks before we hear back on how my Brave Frail and Delicate Princess Bianca has been received. One early response was decent, but nothing great. That stirred up massive author anxiety. What if all the reviews are like that? What if Kirkus hates it and says nasty things?? What if everyone hates it?? (Yes, this is how an author's brain works.)

Then this arrived.

"Princess Bianca rules, in every way! This tale of intrepid discovery and determination will delight young readers and will dare those who deal with the dragons of self-doubt, frustration, and bullying to step out and challenge those menaces to a duel." 
New England Children's Book Review -- Listed as a "favorite" on their site



I tell you, my heart skipped a beat or two when I read that. Scott even got a little teary. It's hard to imagine how much words like that mean about something you have worked on and worried over and fussed with for years. It is everything.

It isn't necessary for every reviewer to love it, but if even a few do, it lets me know I'm on the right track. And, on the business side of things, it gives me material to post on sales pages and puts Bianca in front of librarians who use NECBR as a resource for book selections. That's such a boost!

So now we continue to wait for the next round. Kirkus is the big dog in the pen at the moment. Fortunately, if they don't really like it, it's not the equivalent of being blacklisted or anything. I don't promote the review and it just sort of hangs out there. I don't think the average reader checks Kirkus for book recommendations. It's mostly just a waste of lots of money.

But if Kirkus likes it...Well...

We won't even talk about the fireworks that will be lit if they give it a star. Mid-October is a long way off. I try not to think about it if I can avoid it.

In the meantime, we are finishing up our move to Springdale and getting ready for Penned Con in St. Louis (Sept. 29-30th). October will be full with formatting the hardcover version of Bianca, which is a whole new venture for us, and setting up blog reviewers for the fall and December 1 launch of Bianca. We also have War Eagle to look forward to (Oct. 19th-22nd). Meeting readers there always gives my spirits a bump.

For now, I leave you with birthday photos of Miss Fatty Cat (aka Samantha) and Slinky (aka Tabitha), who turn 12 sometime this month. Happy Birthday, Ladies!!



No comments:

Post a Comment