Friday, December 11, 2015

Bella Vista Writer's Group

On Wednesday, I had the great pleasure of meeting with the writer's group in Bella Vista, Arkansas. They have larger Saturday meetings once a month, but this Wednesday group is new. It was small, with six people attending, but some of them were there for the first time, so it's always fun to get in on the ground floor.


They meet at the beautiful Artist Retreat Center in Bella Vista. If you have not visited them, it is worth the trip. Artists of all kinds are supported and allowed to rent exhibit and concert spaces in this lovely and well-appointed building. I was very impressed.

I modified my talk about "Running With Inspiration" and shared ideas from the new book "Big Magic" by Elizabeth Gilbert and the more tenured "The War of Art" by Stephen Pressfield. My newest book, "At the Corner of Magnetic and Main," is a perfect example of running with the inspiration that comes because I had no plans at that time to write an adult book. The spark was there, and I ran with it. We also spent a long time just chatting about the publishing process, current trends, and the differences between self-publishing and going the more traditional route these days.


They let me set up a book table, and three members went home with copies of "At the Corner of Magnetic and Main." It was a delightful way to spend a few hours of the afternoon, and I was quite impressed with the works in progress that some members shared. Wonderful writing! There will be some new books out of that group shortly, I'm sure.

If you don't get my newsletter, you can check out the holiday edition here and get in on some December paperback sale prices. It is getting almost too late to guarantee Christmas delivery, so don't wait long.

Also upcoming is my Facebook party to celebrate the end of the official launch of my new book. There will be games and prizes and fun. Click here to find out more and join us! 

The weather here is ridiculously warm, something like 70 today, so I think Max will be getting a good bath in the yard. I hope each of you is staying sane and finding joy in each moment of this crazy holiday season. It will be over before you know it, so savor each concert, party, and family gathering. And enjoy a good book or two . . . or three . . . or four.


No comments:

Post a Comment